Hurricane was settled in 1906 and was named by Erastus Snow for the Hurricane fault and the storm he was caught in while visiting. Hurricane was settled after the Hurricane Canal was finished to bring water. It became a great place for growing fruit and other produce. Hurricane is still one of the largest and fastest-growing towns in Washington County. It's home to Quail Lake and Sand Hollow Reservoirs, Sand Hollow State Park which features miles and miles of red sand dunes, and championship golf courses such as Sand Hollow, Sky Mountain & Copper Rock. Hurricane is located only15 minutes north of St George.